Whether you were just elected as an Assembly delegate, ADEM E-board representative or delegate on your Central Committee, CONGRATULATIONS! It takes a good deal of courage, trust, and faith to throw yourself into the arena, and our Party and our state will benefit because of your service. And a huge thank you to all our elected officials and their appointees.
For those of you who do not know me, I am a candidate running to Chair the California Democratic Party (CDP). I want to tell you a little about myself and my plans for the Party. As the only woman ever elected as State Superintendent of Public Instruction in California, I managed a workforce of more than 3,000 staff at the Department of Education, was responsible for over 40% of the California state budget and oversaw public education for more than six million California students. Prior to my time at the Department of Education, I served in the State Assembly for eight years. I was a city councilwoman for over six years and a planning commissioner for four years before that. I have a track record of bringing people together on a mission, and accomplishing more than seemed attainable at the outset (and I worked for a Republican Governor my first term), and I will do that for our CDP. It is critical that we unite our Party to accomplish the goals we need to achieve.
My top priorities:
- Work immediately and collaboratively to coordinate a decisive defeat of the recall against Governor Newsom so we are prepared if it qualifies;
- Build a team to strategize to win back the seats we lost in 2020 and more;
- Develop a much improved and more transparent ADEM election process as well as other internal election and appointments processes;
- Democratize the California Democratic Party, starting with the sharing of control and decision making and less power concentrated in the Chair; it has been my life experience that the more great minds are focused on a project or an issue, the better the outcome;
- Increase diversity in committee appointments and leadership;
- Diversify our funding base, stop taking fossil fuel money, and stand by our commitment to clean money campaigns and campaign finance reform.
I envision our state Party to be one that engages with our members at all levels, especially our delegates, because you are the ones who are closest to your communities and your experience is invaluable.
I hope you will join me at one of my upcoming Meet and Greets, so I can answer your questions and hear your ideas for the Party . You can sign up for one here: https://www.delaineeastin.com/meet_delaine. If you prefer a one-on-one phone call or a session with your fellow delegates, please reach out to our scheduler, Hannah Branch, at [email protected].
I look forward to speaking with you in the weeks ahead. To those of you already supporting me, I am forever grateful and excited to work together to build a better California Democratic Party. For those who are still undecided, I hope to earn your support.
P.S. If you are on our team or want to join us, we hope you will endorse, sign up to volunteer, and make a contribution on my website, where you can also learn more about my stance on the issues, see my 100 day plan and more: https://www.delaineeastin.com/